Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cheater





Ahh the writing life.  I get up in the morning, pour myself some coffee write brilliant prose for awhile and carry on with my day.  Not.  My writing day goes more like this.  I get up and the first thing I see after I’ve poured my coffee is the large blue notebook I write in.  It’s actually a sketchbook with paper heavy enough to paint on.  It measures 7” x 10” and I’ve become fixated on this particular book to write in, if only I could be that committed to the stories that are in the pages.  It lies open, waiting exactly as I left it.  I drag myself to my desk in the ‘do I have to?’ way of most third graders and sit down to try and get whatever has gone awry back on the rails.   And while I’m corralling my wayward story, using the words ‘and then’ a lot and knowing I’m in a flat spin another idea will pop into my head.  “Well,” I think, “that’s the problem.  I didn’t want to write that story in the first place, I wanted to write this one.”  So I turn to a blank page and it’s as if the other story never existed.  I’m lost in the new and improved idea, the one with legs the one that has to be written.
I’m back in the zone.  Ideas flow, post-its abound and then somewhere around page 20 or so I start to slow down.  The characters are losing their lustre and I begin losing interest and if I’m losing interest, the reader will lose interest.  It’s in the bible of writing, Vonnegut ch. 3 vs. 1.   And so I start again with the next big thing.  It could be a process of elimination I suppose.  Maybe I’m just struggling to find my voice.  But I know and you probably know too.  It’s fear.  Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of spending months writing something that is garbage when you could have written something great or at least good and the ultimate fear, the fear of rejection. 
When this happens I crawl back into the safe cocoon of poetry.  Poetry fills my need to get words on the page, to get feelings out of my head and into the stratusphere.  I can use my poems to sketch out ideas or lament my expanding waistline.  It is forgiving and welcoming and expedient.  It’s entirely possible that my whole problem is a giant case of attention deficit.  Hmmm a character who has a severe case of ADD....I should write that down.


2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere but I can't remember where, that you should write your beginning then the end. The end is the most difficult bit. So I did that but I am now having difficulty in working out how to get to the end from the beginning. As someone giving me directions when I was in Ireland once said 'If I wanted to go there I wouldn't be starting from here.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was a Vonnegut quote too. 'Start as close to the end as possible.' I've written enough to know that the knot will untie itself as I go if I just keep writing. Why is that so hard for me to remember? I'm torn. When I did Nanowrimo I had a concept. I didn't know how it would turn out but near the end all the pieces suddenly seemed to fit. And I finished. So I don't know, sometimes it seems to work and sometimes not. Good luck, I hope it works. Let me know and thanks for reading this!

      Delete